I am resigning from my position as ————- at Tehelka magazine, with immediate effect, because Tehelka’s Editor-in-Chief Tarun Tejpal sexually molested me on two occasions in November this year.
I am deeply traumatized by the lack of support offered by the organization.
In such circumstances, it is untenable for me to continue to work for this organization.
At this moment, I would like to present the following facts to support my claim:
1. I was sexually molested by Tarun Tejpal on two occasions, the 7th and 8th of November 2013 at the annual Think festival in Goa this year. In the emails of apology that followed my complaint to you about Mr Tejpal’s grievous sexual misconduct, he admitted to the fact, andapologized unconditionally.
2. I requested, at the very least, for Mr Tejpal to acknowledge this apology publicly to the staff and bureau of Tehelka. While I did not want this acknowledgement to have graphic details, I asked that the words “sexual misconduct” be included. In a phone conversation with me, you asked that he be recused from doing so because he had already admitted to sexual molestation in his emails, and because we needed to “protect the institution”. In this conversation, I said, “I trust you to do the right thing”.
3. In the public acknowledgement sent to the bureau, Mr Tejpal and you referred to his act of sexual violation as “an untoward incident”— this was not an attempt to “protect the institution” but in fact, an attempt to cover up what had really occurred—the act of sexual molestation, an admission of the facts that Mr Tejpal had “attempted sexual liaison” with me (to quote his email) on two occasions despite my “reluctance to receive such attention”. Further, in conversations with my colleagues, you admitted to them that you did not see the need to set up an anti-sexual harassment cell as per the Vishaka guidelines, because you did not contest my version of what had occurred on the nights of 7th and 8th of November.
4. In your appearances on national news channels, you first attempted to establish that I was “satisfied” with Tehelka’s actions, when only one of my immediate demands from the organization had been met—namely, that Mr Tejpal had unconditionally apologized for sexually molesting me in private emails to you and I. His public acknowledgement of the apology did not include any reference to his grievous sexual misconduct, and you had still failed to set up an anti-sexual harassment cell as per Vishaka guidelines. This could, in no way, have left me “satisfied”. Further, I had responded to both of Mr Tejpal’s emails (cc’d to you and the three colleagues I had confided everything to since the 7th of November) clarifying:
- that his behaviour could not be described as “sexual liaison”, and that was in fact an act of sexual molestation and a violation of bodily integrity and trust, since it occurred (by his own admission) despite my refusal.
- A sexual act carried out without consent cannot be justified on any basis.
- That after Mr Tejpal (by his own admission) had referred to his position of power over me in the organization, he did not withdraw this statement as his emails allege.
You continued to ignore my rebuttals to these emails, while insisting, in public, that I was satisfied.
5. You are now attempting to establish that Mr Tejpal has “another version” of events (as surely, any sexual predator does), and that the “encounter” may have been consensual or non-consensual. Meanwhile, on the night of the 22nd of November, an immediate member of Mr Tejpal’s family went to my mother’s house to ask her the details of my legal counsel, and what I “wanted” as a result of my complaint about being sexually molested by Mr Tejpal. In emails and text messages sent to his friends, read out on national news channels, Mr Tejpal is now claiming that what occurred was a “fleeting, consensual encounter”; and that he wrote his apologies to me because of your “adamantine feminist principles”.
Over the past years, we have collectively defended the rights of women, written about custodial rape, sexual molestation at the workplace, spoken out harshly against the culture of victim blame and the tactical emotional intimidation and character assassination of those who dare to speak out against sexual violence.
At a time when I find myself victim to such a crime, I am shattered to find the Editor in Chief ofTehelka, and you— in your capacity as Managing Editor— resorting to precisely these tactics of intimidation, character assassination and slander.
Given the sequence of events since the 7th of November, it is not just Mr Tejpal who has failed me as an employer—but Tehelka that has failed women, employees, journalists and feminists collectively.
Please consider my resignation effective immediately.
— —Tehelka (—)
As we made our way out of the elevator of Block 7 at the Grand Hyatt, Mr Tejpal held my arm and pulled me back into the lift. He said – “Let’s go wake up Bob” (Mr De Niro) and I asked him why he wanted to do that. I then realized that Mr Tejpal was simply pressing buttons on the lift’s panel to make the elevator stay in circuit, preventing it from stopping anywhere, and for the doors to open.
At this point, he began to kiss me — from the first moment of his doing so, I asked him to stop, citing several reasons, including my friendship to Tiya, my closeness to his family, the fact that he had known me since I was a child, the fact that I worked for Tehelka and for Shoma Chaudhury – who is my managing editor and mentor. It was like talking to a deaf person. Mr Tejpal lifted my dress up, went down on his knees and pulled my underwear down. He attempted to perform oral sex on me as I continued to struggle and hysterically asked him to stop. At that moment he began to try and penetrate me with his fingers, I became scared and pushed him hard and asked him to stop the lift. He would not listen. The lift stopped on the ground floor as Mr Tejpal’s hands were on me and could not press the button for yet another floor to keep it in circuit. As soon as the doors opened, I picked up my underwear and began walking out of the elevator rapidly – he was still following me, asking me what the matter was.
I said “It’s all wrong. I work for you and Shoma.” He said first “It’s alright to be in love with more than one person,” and then he said, “Well, this is the easiest way for you to keep your job.” I was walking still faster, blinking back tears.
By this time, we had made our way from Block 7 to the main lawns of the Grand Hyatt, where I walked into the grassy dinner area full of people and Mr Tejpal walked off towards the performance area. Right as soon as he was out of sight, I took a taxi back to my hotel – the International Centre for Goa, where the Tehelka staff was staying, and went to the room where the Literary Editor Shougat Dasgupta and the Photo Editor Ishan Tankha were staying. I also called another friend and colleague – investigative reporter G Vishnu to the room and told them what had occurred. While the four of us were talking in the balcony, Mr Tejpal sent me a text message from his personal phone number at 1.17 am, which said “The fingertips”. This was the extent he had managed to penetrate me before I pushed him and ran out of the lift. I told the people with me on the balcony about this. Some of us considered resigning as soon as Think was over. I called my boyfriend Aman Sethi in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from Ishan Tankha’s iPhone and told him what had happened.
I was confused, hurt and really, really scared. At that point I did not want to lose my job. And so the next morning, I went about my work determined not to give Mr Tejpal or Tehelka a reason to fire me, as I was sure they would do once this story got out. At a few points of the day, I discussed the events of the previous night with Shougat Dasgupta, G Vishnu and Ishan Tankha, who were concerned about me after the state they had seen me in the previous night. In the afternoon, I accompanied Mr De Niro, his daughter, Sir VS Naipaul, Lady Naipaul and Mr Tejpal’s wife to the Governor’s bungalow for lunch.
Given the company we were in, I did not make any mention of what had occurred to Ms Geetan Batra, Mr Tejpal’s wife. Once I had escorted Mr De Niro back to his room post lunch, he expressed a desire to attend one of the sessions at the Main Hall. I brought him down to the Green Room, where Mr Tejpal found us, and asked me to bring Mr De Niro back down for Mr Amitabh Bachchan’s session as he wanted the two to meet. I took Mr De Niro and his daughter shopping to Panjim, and brought them back in time for Mr Bachchan’s session as instructed. Once the session was done, Mr Tejpal, Mr De Niro, Mr Bachchan and a few other members of the film industry, lawyers, politicians etc were supposed to meet at the Block 7 Grand Club for drinks.
I escorted Mr De Niro and Drena to this bar, told them I would return to my hotel, change, and be right back. While I was getting dressed at my hotel, Mr Tejpal called me from ThakurJi’s phone (Thakurji is the caretaker and manager of Tehelka’s Bombay office premises) and asked me where I was. I informed him I was just about to leave for the Grand Hyatt. In the taxi I noticed he had already sent me two text messages on my phone which said “Where r u?” at 8:29and then “??” at 8:42. from his personal number.
I replied with the following messages: “On my way to the lounge” 8.42 pm, “Had to sort out a lost package for Drena and get a bit presentable. See you in 10” at 8.44 pm and “Call tee she needs you” at 8.47 pm as Tiya had messaged me asking to help her find Tarun. At this point I was trying to be as normal and professional as possible and somehow get through my duties.
Five minutes later, as I was walking into the Grand Club at Block 7, Mr Tejpal was coming out of the lounge. He pointed at me asking me to stop. I was already worried that I was late and that Mr De Niro had asked for me. Mr Tejpal came to me and said “Come up with me, we have to get something from Bob’s room”. I was frightened that this would lead to a repeat of the previous night and so I said, “What does he need? I’ll go get it.” I was scared of getting into the lift with him again, and more terrified that he was going to try and take me into a room this time. By this time he was holding me by the wrist and had taken me into the lift (which is barely a few steps away from the lobby of block 7 where he had asked me to wait). When the doors closed, he started to try and kiss me again. I said “Tarun, please, no, just stop,” he pulled away, smiled, patted my cheek and said “Why? Ok. I’ll stop.” I said again “This just isn’t right. Tiya is my best friend. I had lunch with Geetan today. “
He smiled again and just for a moment I thought I had appealed to his better sense. I turned away from him, desperately waiting for the door to open (there are only three floors in Block 7 (G, 1 and 2), we were between floors). Within seconds of my turning around, he started to lift up my dress. He lifted it all the way up and said “You’re unbelievable”. The door opened on the second floor, on Mr De Niro’s floor — and he said again – “The universe is telling us something” to which I said “I’m taking the stairs” and started to walk out. He pulled me back in, sensing that I was on the verge of hysteria — by this point, he was totally comfortable physically manhandling me, but sensing my sheer panic, he did not touch me until the lift reached the ground floor. Right as the doors were about to open, he patted my behind once more.
I walked out of the lift, went to the Grand Club and immediately informed Ishan Tankha that Mr Tejpal had tried to molest me again. Ishan said “Again? What the fuck is wrong with him?” He was completely disgusted and said once more that we should just resign immediately. As I was to accompany Mr De Niro to the dining area, I somehow composed myself. Mr De Niro was mobbed by fans – and I had to take him away from the main garden to the Capiz Bar. I was sitting at the Capiz Bar with Mr De Niro and his daughter when TiyaTejpal came there to join us.
This was the first time the two of us had really met since the incident of the previous night. Since I had moved to Mumbai about a year and a half ago, Tiya had grown to become one of my closest friends. She lives across the road from my house in Mumbai and barely a day had passed when the two of us did not meet or talk to each other constantly. She was sitting beside me, and Mr De Niro was absorbed in conversation with his daughter. I could not keep something of this magnitude from her. I told her she would hate me for what I was telling her – but that Mr Tejpal had tried to molest me on these two separate occasions. I said “He tried to shove his tongue down my throat and then took my panties off”, when Tiya replied saying “I saw him do this to a woman when I was thirteen, so it doesn’t surprise me anymore,” but she was clearly disgusted.
Tiya left the Capiz Bar right after this. In half an hour, Mr De Niro and Drena asked to be dropped back to their room. They were extremely upset at the day’s events because Mr De Niro had all but been assaulted by fans at the dinner table, and they asked me to convey this to Mr Tejpal. When I came down from Block 7, I found Mr Tejpal sitting at a table with several people and called him away from the table, but still in full view of everyone, so I could relay Mr De Niro’s message privately.
I said “Bob is really upset about tonight, he got mobbed really badly..” to which Mr Tejpal replied “I don’t give a fuck about Bob. How could you tell Tiya what happened?” I said “Tarun, I told you Tiya and I are close and what you did wasn’t okay, I had to tell her,” to which he said “She’s my daughter. Do you even understand what the word means? Just get away from me, I’m so fucking pissed off with you right now.”
I left from the spot crying, found Tiya outside her room in the main performance area and asked her what she had said to her father. She said “There was no other way. As soon as you told me I wished you hadn’t, but you can’t tell me what to say to him – I told him to keep it in his pants.” I said “I’m probably going to lose my job over this”, she agreed, but also said “It’ll be a bad phase but it’ll pass.” On this night as well, I left the Grand Hyatt and went to my hotel, found Shougat Dasgupta, Ishan Tankha and G Vishnu and told them what had happened. I also called my boyfriend and told him that Mr Tejpal was aware of the fact that I wasn’t staying quiet, and that he was extremely angry that I had told his daughter. The next morning, I called my mother and told her everything that had happened. Everyone was most worried for my safety and advised me to leave Think as soon as possible — however since my day’s work involved me staying away from the Grand Hyatt and staying at a completely different part of Goa for the day with Mr De Niro and his daughter, I felt temporarily safe. At this time MrTejpal sent me the following texts from his personal number.
1. “I hope you told Tiya that it was just drunken banter, and nothing else”
To which I replied – “I told her we were both drunk” – because it was true that everyone had had a few drinks on the first night. But not the second, when he assaulted me minutes after I had reached the Grand Hyatt. However, this was the first time Mr Tejpal had said anything to me after lashing out at me the previous night, and I was still very afraid of him.
He then sent me a second message:
2. “And just banter, nothing else” – to which I did not reply, because there was no way what he had done to me could have been described as “banter”.
Sensing that I had clammed up at his attempt to sugar-coat what really happened, he sent me a third message:
3. “Why?? What’s happened??”
I did not reply to this message. Within minutes, he sent me a fourth message, one that convinced me he saw absolutely nothing wrong with what he had done, and was in fact now trying to shame me for talking to Tiya:
4. “I can’t believe u went and mentioned even the smallest thing to her. What an absence of any understanding of a parent child relationship.”
After this message, I made sure to stay away from Mr Tejpal except when we were in extremely public situations only – such as the Speakers Green Room at the Hyatt, or the lobby of the hotel. That evening as well, I steered completely clear of him. He made no mention of anything that had occurred the next day, and the only thought on my mind was to get Mr De Niro on his plane and leave Think. I had to speak to MrTejpal several times on Sunday the 9th of November to coordinate Mr De Niro’s travel plans, but in these calls he made no mention of anything that had occurred. Once I dropped Mr De Niro to the Goa Airport at 4.30 pm, I had no further contact with Mr Tejpal.
However, on 16.11.2013, Mr Tejpal messaged me a number of times
1. “Have you spoken to Tee? Is she Ok?”
To which I replied: “Why would she be ok about the fact that you sexually assaulted her best friend, that is me?”
2. “What’s with saying this awful stuff??”
To which I replied: Do not send me any messages. You are lying and you know that.
3. “Oh is that so? I cherished you like one of my best kids always, all these years; and because of one drunken banter you so easily say these awful things.
To which I replied: It was twice Tarun, not once and it was no banter. You did the most horrible things to me and I certainly was not drunk. I asked you to stop repeatedly.
4. “Oh so that’s what you told Tee. No wonder she’s so madly upset. Its ok. Am not going to contest anything with her. Will let time and my love heal what it can.”
5. “Don’t think I’ve been more saddened in the longest time”
I have no doubt that Mr Tejpal was trying to establish his innocence in a devious manner. If he needed to get in touch with his daughter, he could have done so anytime he desired, through his wife or daughter or nephew or anyone from his family without messaging me about her, or falsely claiming that all that happened was ‘a drunken banter’. This was no banter, it was most clearly sexual assault. As a reporter for Tehelka who writes on violence against women, I suddenly find myself in the horrific situation of discovering what it is like to be on the receiving end of this violence from a powerful man I once deeply admired and respected. I truly hope that the idea of Tehelka is still intact – and that you will conduct an inquiry into this matter at the earliest.
ತೇಜಪಾಲ್ ಅವರ ಪತ್ರ:
My dear Shoma,
The last few days have been most testing, and I squarely take the blame for this.
A bad lapse of judgment, an awful misreading of the situation, have led to an unfortunate incident that rails against all we believe in and fight for.
I have already unconditionally apologised for my misconduct to the concerned journalist, but I feel impelled to atone further. Tehelka has been born and built, day on day, with my blood, toil, tears and sweat, and that of many others, against near-insurmountable odds.
It has lived for and fought the big battles of our time, always on the side of the oppressed and the wronged, always on the side of equity and justice. Its voice has travelled the world and changed policy and perceptions. It has been a beacon for those who would do the right thing.
Through bad, and worse, times I have protected Tehelka and its journalists from the inevitable demands of power and corporations. I have always allowed every journalist’s sense of the right to flower and express itself. No one has ever been asked to do what they don’t believe in.
I have always held that Tehelka the institution, and its work, have always been infinitely more important than any of us individuals. It is tragic, therefore, that in a lapse of judgment I have hurt our own high principles.
Because it involves Tehelka, and a sterling shared legacy, I feel atonement cannot be just words. I must do the penance that lacerates me. I am therefore offering to recuse myself from the editorship of Tehelka, and from the Tehelka office, for the next six months.
You have always been stellar, Shoma, and even as I apologise to you and all my other colleagues, for this unfortunate incident, I leave Tehelka in your more than capable and safe hands.
ಕಾರ್ಯ ನಿರ್ವಾಹಕ ಸಂಪಾದಕಿ ಶೋಮಾ ಅವರು ಉದ್ಯೋಗಿಗಳಿಗೆ ಬರೆದ ಪತ್ರ:
This may come as a rude surprise to many of you.
There is a letter from Tarun appended to this mail. There has been an untoward incident, and though he has extended an unconditional apology to the colleague involved, Tarun will be recusing himself as the editor of Tehelka for the next six months.
Tehelka is an institution he has built, and which many journalists both current and former, have contributed to in the most profound ways. Throughout our 13-year career, we have proudly articulated and tried to live by the highest standards.
We have also believed that when there is a mistake or lapse of any kind, one can only respond with right thought and action. In keeping with this stated principle, and the collective values we live by, Tarun will be stepping down for the period mentioned.
This is a hard time for all of us, and I hope all of you will stand by the institution.
- ಕೊನೆಗೂ ಕದ ಮುಚ್ಚಿನ ಮೊತ್ತಮೊದಲ ಕನ್ನಡ ವಾಹಿನಿ ಎಂಬ ಕೀರ್ತಿಯನ್ನು ಸಮಯ ವಾಹಿನಿ ಪಡೆದುಕೊಂಡಿದೆ. ಆಂತರಿಕ ಸಮಸ್ಯೆಗಳಿಗೆ ಸಮಯ ಮತ್ತು ಜನಶ್ರೀಗಳ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಭಾರೀ ಪೈಪೋಟಿ ನಡೆದಿತ್ತು. ಕೆಲ ದಿನಗಳಿಂದ ಸುದ್ದಿ ಮತ್ತು ಹೊಸ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಗಳ ನಿರ್ಮಾಣ ಸ್ಥಗಿತಗೊಂಡಿದ್ದು ಹಳೆಯ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಗಳು ಸಧ್ಯಕ್ಕೆ ಪ್ರಸಾರವಾಗುತ್ತಿವೆ. ಅದೂ ಇನ್ನೇನು ಕೊನೆಗೊಳ್ಳಲಿದೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಸುದ್ದಿ. ವಾಹಿನಿಗೆ ಬೀಗ ಬಿದ್ದುದರಿಂದಾಗಿ ಅನೇಕ ಉದ್ಯೋಗಿಗಳ ಭವಿಷ್ಯ ಸಂಕಷ್ಟಕ್ಕೊಳಗಾಗಿದೆ. ಕೆಲ ಸಮಯದಿಂದ ಸರಿಯಾಗಿ ಸಂಬಳವೂ ಬರದಿರುವುದರಿಂದ ಹಲವರು ಲೇಬರ್ ಕಮಿಷನ್ ಕದ ತಟ್ಟಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಸತೀಶ್ ಜಾರಕಿಹೊಳಿ ಅವರಿಂದ ಸಚಿನ್/ಶಾಂತಾ/ನಿರಾಣಿ/ಮಂಜುನಾಥ್ ತಂಡಕ್ಕೆ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ವರ್ಗಾವಣಿಯ ಎಲ್ಲಾ ಕಾನೂನಾತ್ಮಕ ಹಂತಗಳು ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಳ್ಳದಿದ್ದುದರಿಂದ ಸಮಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಈಗ ಬರೀ ಗೊಂದಲವಂತೆ.
- ಜನಶ್ರೀ ಎಂಬ ಮುಳುಗುತ್ತಿದ್ದ ಹಡಗಿನ ನಾವಿಕ ಅನಂತ ಚಿನಿವಾರರು ಸುವರ್ಣ ನ್ಯೂಸ್ ಸಂಪಾದಕರಾಗಿ ಸೇರಿದ ನಂತರ ಹಿಂದೆ ಸುವರ್ಣ ಸ್ಯೂಸ್ ಮುಖ್ಯಸ್ಥರಾಗಿದ್ದ ಶಶಿಧರ ಭಟ್ ಹಡಗಿಗೆ ಹೆಗಲು ನೀಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಆದರೆ ಆ ಭಾರ ಸಹಿಸುವಂತಹುದೇ ಅಲ್ಲ ಹೊಸ ದಿಕ್ಕಿನತ್ತ ಸಾಗುವುದೇ ಎಂದು ಕಾದು ನೋಡಬೇಕಿದೆ.
- ಆರಂಭದಿಂದಲೂ ಟಿವಿ9 ಜತೆಗಿದ್ದ ಲಕ್ಷ್ಮಣ್ ಹೂಗಾರ್ ಸುವರ್ಣ ನ್ಯೂಸ್ ಸೇರಿದ್ದರೆ ರಂಗನಾಥ್ ಭಾರದ್ವಾಜ್ ಸುವರ್ಣದಿಂದ ಹೊರ ಹೊರಟಿದ್ದಾರೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಇನ್ನೊಂದು ಸುದ್ದಿ.
ಹೀಗೆ ಸುದ್ದಿ ವಾಹಿನಿಗಳು ಭಾರೀ ಸುದ್ದಿಗಳನ್ನು ನೀಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದರೆ “ಸಮಯ – ಸದಾ ನಿಮ್ಮೊಂದಿಗೆ” ಎಂದು ಪದೇ ಪದೇ ಹೇಳುತ್ತಿದ್ದ ಸಮಯ ಈಗ ನಮ್ಮೊಂದಿಗಿಲ್ಲ.
ರಾಜ್ಯದ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳ ನಡಿವೆ ಮತ್ತೆ ತೀವ್ರಗೊಂಡಿರುವ ಪೈಪೋಟಿಯ ವಿವರವನ್ನು ಓದುಗರೊಬ್ಬರು ಕಳುಹಿಸಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಓದಿ:
ರಾಜ್ಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಎಬಿಸಿ ನಂಬರ್ ವನ್ ಸ್ಥಾನಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಪ್ರಜಾವಾಣಿ ಹಾಗೂ ವಿಜಯ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ನಡುವೆ ಶೀತಲ ಸಮರ ಆರಂಭವಾಗಿದೆ.
ಈಗಾಗಲೇ ನಂಬರ್ ವನ್ ಸ್ಥಾನದಲ್ಲಿರುವ ವಿಜಯ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಈ ಸ್ಥಾನವನ್ನು ಉಳಿಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲು ಹೆಣಗುತ್ತಿದ್ದರೆ. ಪ್ರಜಾವಾಣಿ ಹೇಗಾದರೂ ಮಾಡಿ ನಂಬರ್ ವನ್ ಸ್ಥಾನ ಕಸಿದಕೊಳ್ಳಲು ಅವಿರತ ಹೋರಾಟ ನಡೆಸಿದೆ. ಇದರ ಪರಿಣಾಮ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳು ರದ್ದಿಯಾಗುತ್ತಿವೆ.
ಒಂದು ಪತ್ರಿಕೆ ನಂಬರ್ ವನ್ ಸ್ಥಾನಗಳಿಸುವುದು ಓದುಗರಿಂದ ಎಂಬುದನ್ನು ಗಮನಿಸಿದೇ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಯ ಗುಣಮಟ್ಟ ಹೆಚ್ಚಿಸಿದೇ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಯ ವಿತರಣೆಯನ್ನೇ ನಂಬಿಕೊಂಡು ಮಾರುಕಟ್ಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಯನ್ನು ತೊರಿಸುವ ಕೆಲಸವನ್ನು ಎರಡು ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳು ನಡೆಸಿವೆ.
ಏಜೆಂಟ್ರು ಕೇಳಲಿ ಬಿಡಲಿ ಅವರಿಗೆ ಹೆಚ್ಚು ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಯನ್ನು ಕಳಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಬೇಡ ಅಂದರೂ ಕೇಳುತ್ತಿಲ್ಲ ಎಂದೂ ಏಜೆಂಟ್ರು ಈ ಎರಡು ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಯ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ದೂರುತ್ತಾರೆ. ಕೆಲವು ಏಜೆಂಟ್ರು ಈ ಕಾರಣಕ್ಕೆ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಯ ಏಜೆನ್ಸಿಯನ್ನು ರದ್ದು ಮಾಡಿ ಎಂದು ವಿನಂತಿಸಿಕೊಂಡರೂ ಏಜೆನ್ಸಿ ಕ್ಯಾನ್ಸಲ್ ಮಾಡಲು ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳು ತಯ್ಯಾರಿಲ್ಲ.
ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳ ಈ ಪರಿ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳನ್ನು ಕಳಿಸುತ್ತಿರುವುದರಿಂದ ಏಜೆಂಟ್ರು ಅವುಗಳನ್ನು ರದ್ದಿ ಅಂಗಡಿಗೆ ಸಗಟು ಮಾರಾಟ ನಡೆಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಕಳೆದ ಮೂರುತಿಂಗಳಿಂದ ಪತ್ರಿಕಾ ಬಿಲ್ ಏಜೆಂಟ್ರು ಕಟ್ಟಿಲ್ಲ. ಕಟ್ಟಿ ಎಂದು ಪತ್ರಿಕಾ ವಿತರಣಾ ವಿಭಾಗವು ಕೇಳಿಲ್ಲ. ಹೆಚ್ಚುವರಿ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳನ್ನು ಕಳಿಸುತ್ತಾ ನಂಬರ್ ವನ್ ಸ್ಥಾನಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಎರಡೂ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳು ಸರ್ಕೂಲೇಷನ್ ವಿಭಾಗದಲ್ಲಿ ಈ ಕೆಲಸ ನಡೆಸಿವೆ.
ಜನವರಿಯಿಂದ ಜೂನ್ವರೆಗೆ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಯ ಸರ್ಕ್ಯೂಲೇಷನ್ ಪರಿಶೀಲಿಸಿ ನಂಬರ್ ವನ್ ನಿರ್ಧಾರ ಕೈಗೊಳ್ಳುವುದರಿಂದ ಅಲ್ಲಿಯವರೆಗೆ ಏಜೆಂಟ್ರಿಗೆ ಹೆಚ್ಚುವರಿ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳು ಬರುತ್ತಲೇ ಇರುತ್ತವೆ.
ಪ್ರಜಾವಾಣಿ ಹಾಗೂ ವಿಜಯಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ನಡುವೆ ಶೀತಲ ಸಮರದಲ್ಲಿ ಯಾರು ನಂಬರ್ ವನ್ ಆಗುತ್ತಾರೋ ಕಾದು ನೋಡಬೇಕು.
– ಪರುಶುರಾಮ ಕಲಾಲ್
ಕನ್ನಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಉಪಗ್ರಹ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಯುಗದ ಆರಂಭದಲ್ಲಿ ಉದಯ ಟಿವಿಗೆ ಪೈಪೋಟಿ ನೀಡುವ ಪ್ರಯತ್ನವಾಗಿ ಆರಂಭವಾದ ಸುಪ್ರಭಾತ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಮತ್ತು ಏಶಿಯಾನೆಟ್ ಕಾವೇರಿ ಚಾನೆಲ್ಗಳು ಯಶಸ್ಸು ಕಾಣದೆ ಕದ ಮುಚ್ಚಿದ್ದವು. ಮುಂದಿನ ದಿನಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಹಿಂತಿರುಗಿ ನೋಡದೆ ಮುನ್ನುಗ್ಗಿದ ಕನ್ನಡ ಟಿವಿ ಜಗತ್ತು ಇನ್ನೊಂದು ಹಂತಕ್ಕೆ ಬಂದು ನಿಂತಿದೆ. ಮನರಂಜನಾ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಗಳ ನಂತರ ಒಂದರ ಹಿಂದೊಂದು ಆರಂಭವಾದ ಸುದ್ದಿವಾಹಿನಿಗಳ ಸಂಖ್ಯೆ ಈಗ 8! ಉದಯ ನ್ಯೂಸ್, ಟಿವಿ9, ಸುವರ್ಣ ನ್ಯೂಸ್ 24×7, ಸಮಯ, ಜನಶ್ರೀ, ಪಬ್ಲಿಕ್ ಟಿವಿ, ಕಸ್ತೂರಿ ನ್ಯೂಜ಼್ 24, ರಾಜ್ ನ್ಯೂಸ್ ಕನ್ನಡ ಈಗಿರುವ ಸುದ್ದಿ ವಾಹಿನಿಗಳು.
ಪಕ್ಕದ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಪಕ್ಷಗಳಿಗೆ ಒಂದೊಂದು ಟಿವಿ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಇರುವಾಗ ನಾವೂ ಏಕೆ ಸುದ್ದಿ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಆರಂಭಿಸಿ ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಲಾಭ ಮತ್ತು ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಮೈಲೇಜ್ ಎರಡನ್ನೂ ಗಳಿಸಬಾರದು ಎಂಬ ಯೋಚನೆಯಿಂದ ಜನಾರ್ಧನ ರೆಡ್ಡಿ ಮತ್ತು ಶ್ರೀರಾಮುಲು ಆರಂಭಿಸಿದ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಜನಶ್ರೀ. ಬಹುಷ: ಉಳಿದೆಲ್ಲಾ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಗಳಿಗಿಂತ ಸುಸಜ್ಜಿತ ಸ್ಟುಡಿಯೋ ಮತ್ತು ವ್ಯವಸ್ತೆ ಹೊಂದಿದ್ದ ಜನಶ್ರೀಗೆ ತಿಂಗಳ ವೆಚ್ಚವನ್ನು ಸಂಪಾದಿಸುವುದು ಕಷ್ಟವಾಗತೊಡಗಿತು. ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಮಾರಾಟಕ್ಕೆ ನಡೆಸಿದ ಪ್ರಯತ್ನವೂ ವಿಫಲವಾಯಿತು. ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಮೈಲೇಜಿನ ಭ್ರಮೆ ಹುಸಿ ಎಂಬುದು ಅರಿವಾಗತೊಡಗಿತು. ಹೀಗಾಗಿ ಚುನಾವಣೆಯ ವರೆಗೂ ಕಾದು ನೋಡುವ ತಂತ್ರ ಅನುಭವಿಸಿದ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಮಾಲಿಕರು ಕೊನೆಗೂ ಬೀಗ ಜಡಿಯುವತ್ತ ಮುಖಮಾಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಸುದ್ದಿಮನೆಯ ಗುಸುಗುಸು.
ಅನಂತ ಚಿನಿವಾರರು ಸುವರ್ಣ ನ್ಯೂಸ್ ಕಡೆಗೆ ಮುಖ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಪೂರಕ ಗಾಸಿಪ್. ಇತ್ತ ಈಟೀವಿ ನ್ಯೂಸ್ ಕನ್ನಡ ಆರಂಭಿಸುವ ಪ್ರಯತ್ನಕ್ಕ ಹಿನ್ನಡೆಯಾಗಿದೆ, ಸಮಯದಲ್ಲೂ ಸಮಸ್ಯೆಗಳ ಸರಮಾಲೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಇನ್ನಿತರ ಮಾಹಿತಿಗಳು.
ವಿಜಯ ಸಂಕೇಶ್ವರರು ಆರಂಭಿಸಲು ಹೊರಟಿದ್ದ ಇನ್ನೊಂದು ಪತ್ರಿಕೆ ದಿಗ್ವಿಜಯ ಹೊರಬರುವ ಸಾಧ್ಯತೆ ವಿರಳವಾಗಿದೆ. ವಿಜಯವಾಣಿ ಕಛೇರಿಯ ನಾಲ್ಕನೇ ಮಹಡಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಸಂಪಾದಕರು ಮತ್ತು ತಂಡವನ್ನು ಸಿದ್ಧಪಡಿಸಲಾಗುತ್ತಿತ್ತು. ಆದರೆ ಈಗಿನ ಮಾಹಿತಿಯಂತೆ, ಪ್ರಯತ್ನದಿಂದ ಹಿಂದೆ ಸರಿಯಲು ಮ್ಯಾನೇಜ್ಮೆಂಟ್ ನಿರ್ಧರಿಸಿದೆ. ಈ ಹಿಂದೆ ವಿಜಯ ಸಂಕೇಶ್ವರ ಆರಂಭಿಸಿದ್ದ ಉಷಾಕಿರಣ, ವಿಜಯ್ ಟೈಂಸ್ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಗಳನ್ನು ಟೈಂಸ್ ಆಡಳಿತ ಮಂಡಳಿ ಸ್ಥಗಿತಗೊಳಿಸಿತ್ತು.
- SMS ಮೂಲಕ ವದಂತಿ ಹಬ್ಬಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದ ಕಾರಣಕ್ಕೆ DH ಪತ್ರಕರ್ತ ಮುತಿ ಊರ್ ರೆಹಮಾನ್ ಎಂಬಾತನನ್ನು ಬಂಧಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ ಎಂದು ತಿಳಿದು ಬಂದಿದೆ. ಇನ್ನೂ 4 ಮಂದಿಯನ್ನು ಇದೇ ವೇಳೆ ಬಂಧಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ.
- 26/11 ಮುಂಬೈ ದಾಳಿಯ ತೀರ್ಪಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಭಯೋತ್ಪಾದಕರಿಗೆ ನೆರವಾದ ಲೈವ್ ಚಾನೆಲ್ ಗಳನ್ನು ಸುಪ್ರೀಂ ಕೋರ್ಟ್ ತರಾಟೆಗೆ ತೆಗೆದುಕೊಂಡಿದೆ. ತೀರ್ಪು: http://sci.nic.in/outtoday/39511.pdf ಪುಟ 245 ರಿಂದ 249
- ಪಿ ಮಹಮ್ಮದ್ ಅವರ ಗೆರೆಗಳು ವಿಜಯ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದಲ್ಲಿ ಕಾಣಲು ಆರಂಭವಾಗಿದೆ.
ಸೋಮವಾರದಿಂದ ಕನ್ನಡಪ್ರಭ ಓದುಗರಿಗೆ ವಾರದಲ್ಲಿ 5 ದಿನ ಬೈಟೂ ಕಾಫಿ ಸಿಗುತ್ತದೆ. ವಿಜಯ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದಲ್ಲಿದ್ದಾಗ ವಿಭಟ್ ಬಳಗ ಲವಲವಿಕೆ ಪುರವಣಿ ಆರಂಭಿಸಿ ಒಳ್ಳೆಯ ಯಶಸ್ಸನ್ನು ಪಡೆದಿದ್ದರು. ಪ್ರಜಾವಾಣಿ ಬಳಗ ಈ ರೀತಿಯ ಪುರವಣಿಯನ್ನು ಮೆಟ್ರೋ ಹೆಸರಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಆರಂಭಿಸಿತ್ತಾದರೂ ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ಹೊರಗದು ಕಾಲಿಟ್ಟಿರಲಿಲ್ಲ.
ಇದೀಗ ಸುದೀರಘ ತಯಾರಿಯೊಂದಗೆ ಬೈ ಟೂ ಕಾಫಿ ಆರಂಭಿಸಲಾಗುತ್ತಿದೆ.
ಬೈಟೂ ಕಾಫಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ತಾಜಾತನವಿದೆ, ರುಚಿಯಿದೆ ಸ್ನೇಹವಿದೆ, ಹುಮ್ಮಸ್ಸಿದೆ… ಮಿಗಿಲಾಗಿ ಒಂದು ಆಪ್ತತೆ ಇದೆ. ಕಾಫಿ ಅರ್ಧವೇ ಇದ್ದರೂ ಉಳಿದದ್ದೆಲ್ಲವೂ ಅದರಲ್ಲಿ ಪೂರ್ಣ. ಹಾಗೆಯೇ ಬೈ ಟೂ ಕಾಫಿ ಪುರವಣಿ ಪೂರ್ತಿ ಪುಟವೇ ತುಂಬಿಕೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತದೆ. ಶುಕ್ರವಾರ, ಭಾನುವಾರ ಎಂದಿನಂತೆ ಸಿನಿಮಾ, ಸಾಪ್ತಾಹಿಕ ಪುರವಣಿಗಳಿರುತ್ತವೆ. ಉಳಿದ ದಿನಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಬೈ ಟೂ ಕಾಫಿ!
ಸಿನಿಮಾ, ಸಾಪ್ತಾಹಿಕ ಪುರವಣಿಗಳಿಗೂ ಹೊಸ ಸ್ಪರ್ಶ ನೀಡುವ ಉಮೇದು ಕನ್ನಡಪ್ರಭ ಬಳಗಕ್ಕೆ ಇದೆ.
- ವಿಜಯ ಸಂಕೇಶ್ವರರವರ 2ನೇ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆ ‘ದಿಗ್ವಿಜಯ’ ನಿಧಾನವಾಗಿ ರೂಪುಗೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತಿದೆ. ನವಂಬರ್ ನಂತರ ಬಿಡುಗಡೆಯಾಗತ್ತದೆ ಎಂದು ನಿರೀಕ್ಷಿಸಲಾದ ‘ದಿಗ್ವಿಜಯ’ಕ್ಕೆ ಸತೀಶ್ ಚಪ್ಪರಿಕೆ ಜೊತೆಗೆ ಹಿಂದೂ ಪತ್ರಿಕೆಯ ಕೆವಿ ಸುಬ್ರಹ್ಮಣ್ಯ, ಇಂಡಿಯನ್ ಎಕ್ಸ್ ಪ್ರೆಸ್ ನ ಅನಿಲ್ ಗೆಜ್ಜೆ, ವಿಜಯ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ಅರವಿಂದ ನಾವಡ ಸೇರಿದ್ದಾರೆ.
- ಇಂಡಿಯನ್ ಎಕ್ಸ್ ಪ್ರೆಸ್ ನಲ್ಲಿದ್ದ ಅರುಣ್ ಸಂಪಾದಕೀಯ ಸಲಹೆಗಾರರಾಗಿ ಕಾರ್ಯ ನಿರ್ವಹಿಸಲಿದ್ದಾರೆ.
- ಸುಗತ ಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸರಾಜು ವಿಕ ಬಂದ ಮೇಲೆ ಪ್ರಜಾವಾಣಿಯಲ್ಲಿದ್ದು ನಿವೃತ್ತರಾಗಿದ್ದ ಡಿವಿ ರಾಜಖರ್ ಸಂಪಾದಕೀಯ ವಿಭಾಗಕ್ಕೆ ಸೇರಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ‘ಲೂಸ್ ಟಾಕ್’ ವಿಷಯದಲ್ಲಿ ವಿಭಟ್ ರಿಂದ ತರಾಟೆಗೆ ಒಳಗಾದ ಲಕ್ಷ್ಮಣ್ ಕೊಡಸೆ ರಾಜಶೇಖರ ಜೊತೆಗೂಡಲಿದ್ದಾರೆ.
- ಶಿವ ಸುಬ್ರಹ್ಮಣ್ಯ ಬಂದ ಮೇಲೆ ಹೊಸದಿಗಂತ ಬಿಟ್ಟು ಹೋಗಿದ್ದ ಪಿ. ರಾಜೇಂದ್ರ ವಾಪಸ್ ಬಂದಿದ್ದಾರೆ.